Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Purple skirt

I completed this skirt over the weekend.  It was a bit of a struggle since I decided to make a lot of alterations - removing pleats and converting others to darts.  It is McCall's 5591 view A with the big hem band.
Photo
And here is my version.

I used a dark purple quilting cotton and a bold patterned harlequin-like cotton both from Hobby Lobby.  The light purple is a Kona cotton from Joann's.  I made bias tape with the bold fabric and used that as piping between the skirt and the band as well as inside the band. I added contrasting top stitching above the piping too.  Is it still called piping if you don't put a cord in it? See:

The fit is good.  It is a little too big in the waist since I am always afraid of making things too tight.  I like the pockets although they are a bit small - could be deeper.  I think I will need to wear a half slip with it since the cotton is thin but the dark color may keep it from being a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment