Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lacework

Since my sister wants to make doilies, I realized that I never posted a pic of the doily I made.  This was how I learned to crochet. 

I bought this book Kyuuto Japanese Crafts Lacy Crochet and the project with the most detailed instructions was a big doily so that is what I made.

I pinned it to a piece of red fabric in an embroidery hoop just for the picture.  I have still never blocked the doily so it could probably look better but this is it.

That is a chair it is sitting on so the piece is probably more than 12" across.


There is an annual event here in honor of the Day of the Dead where an arts center gives out tin sheets to be decorated by local artists.  They are then auctioned off to benefit the arts center.  So this is the one I made.

The fabric is wrapped around the tin sheet and the crocheted "frame" and flowers are sewed onto the fabric.  It was the only way I could figure out to do it.  I would have preferred to have the tin still visible but I didn't think gluing the crochetwork directly to the tin would work or look clean.  To make the lace frame and flowers stand up and not just droop when hung on the wall (they all had to hang for the auction) I used a product called "Stiffy" which is essentially just elmers that's been watered down.  The total size is about 10 x 12"The flowers (2 different patterns pinned together) are from some book but the frame I made up as I went along.

1 comment: